Tuesday, November 18, 2008

'family and other disasters'

I saw a kid at the office yesterday. My first thought was: 'what the fuck? what the fuck is this child doing here?'. I felt awkward when she looked at me. Later that day, I was in the kitchen waiting for my cup of hot chocolate when I saw some photos on the notice board. Those were the pics from a company social event showing happy kids playing together and having fun. I felt weird again.

Why does a simple settled down life in a perfect house in the suburbs make me feel some weird and not-wanna-do-that? Perfect couple, two kids, a car, a great job and then a strong feeling in my stomach saying not to end up like this. Ever! Am I not the marrying type? Am I not the family person? Was I too fast to ask James about the marrying issue? Maybe it's not for me...

Or maybe it is… but not in the standard way usually expected by the society and family and provided by today’s culture. When I was living in the Northern Africa I once met a couple. He was Dutch and she was Ukrainian. They met somewhere in the former Soviet Union. They got married a few years ago and from that day they lived in a few countries. When I met them it was their fifth year in the Northern Africa. They left a few weeks after me for Armenia where they started new jobs and new social lives. Why did they decide to move to Baku, Azerbaijan? Because they were done with Northern Africa and they just wanted to change their lives. No other reason. No family in Azerbaijan, no better job prospects than what they had there. Just a pure desire for changing the environment to a country slightly more exotic than old and predictable Mother Europe. They also had a kid. I got to meet the boy at one of the fabulous swimming pool parties that they would throw every now and then. Smart and cute boy who thanks to double nationality and living in a bilingual country could speak more languages than me at the age of six. Everything would be perfect but the fact that they were swingers. However, excluding this fact that I will never have in my life I guess they had the perfect model of a relationship that I would certainly like to apply in my life.

So maybe I can settle for the type of a family that the couple managed to build. Who says I should live all my life in the suburbs in the same perfect house near the same boring city?!?!

Can’t I change the countries every five years? You just do it and go ;)

No comments: