Monday, June 16, 2008

the dirty dancing

Last Saturday, my friend invited me to a really posh and classy restaurant/bar where she and her young apprentice were supposed to sing some jazz (her) and gnawa music (him). They are both fabulous, the place is fabulous and everything is fabulous there.

Although, it is a restaurant with technically no place for dancing the atmosphere was so incredible that people started dancing after having drunk some alcohol. I was among of them obviously. I was so into dancing and having fun with one of my girlfriends that I almost missed the cute guy dancing a few meters from me, near another table. It was my other girlfriend who told me "this guy is a gay". I paid attention to him and saw he was really adorable. Suddenly, we established the eye connection and started smiling to each other. We began dancing in the same way repeating steps of each other. The moment lasted a long while (at least it seemed to me so) and we continued on moving, smiling and blinking eyes. Then, he took a hat and put it on. I started asking him to give me the hat (remember that there was a distance between us
and we used no words to communicate). In the most sweet and cute way, he refused to give it to me. I touched my cheeks starting near the eyes and then going down. It was supposed to show him that I was crying because of not getting the hat. Then I realized my friend had a hat and quickly I grabbed it from her and wore it. Me and my dirty dancer were even - we both had hats. A moment later I gave my hat to my friend and to my surprise my dancer threw the hat to me so I could wore it. We continued dancing and now it was only me who had the hat. I threw it back to him later. The band had to take a break so our dance was over. I waved to him goodbye. That was such a charming dance.

After around 20 minutes I approached him to talk and of course to follow up. We exchanged a few words and numbers as well. I noticed his French was not that good but I just thought that I was wrong because my French was not good either. I called the next day the afternoon. We
met in the downtown. He was late. Unfortunately, I was right. His French was much worse than mine (and I only started learning it a year back). We went to some purely local club and played billards. It was funny and bizarre in the same time. I was trying to get to know if he was a gay as nothing was sure with him. I asked the question directly and he responded "half-half" which I don't actually know what it means in this case but since the reply was not "no" I assumed that he might be a gay.

We also met yesterday. Again in the downtown, again he was late. I was trying to meet him somewhere closer to his place so we could go there directly but he didn't want. And he was late because he misunderstood me saying the hour. I said quatorze (14) and he understood quatre (4). His fucking French is so bad. While waiting for him I met 4 of my friends which only made me realize how small the city I live in is. To my surprise he brought his friend. Normally, I wouldn't appreciate that but at least the other guy spoke better French so I could have a decent
conversation. I was a bit shocked that the other guy knew the owner of my favorite restaurant and knew he was a gay (such a small city although it's the second biggest one in the country and the capital as well). The gay-owner is a really posh and classy person, part of the elite of the expats here. I was surprised that randomly met guy knew him and the fact that he was a gay. And the other thing is that the gay-owner can't come out. Everyone seems to know about him however he never speaks about it loud.

A very charming and sweet beginning of the relation turned into something full of questions and totally awkward. Guys here are very weird. It's time to go back home to Europe where gays are still strange but less and in a more bearable way.

No comments: