Monday, March 16, 2009

'license to love'

One of my good friends has recently fallen in love. She was literally struck with the feelings. It all happened faster than being struck by a lightening.

I saw her on the week prior to my departure to Asian-European country. Then when I returned I did not hear from here. Having been back in the city for a couple of days and not having known what she was up to I decided to give her a call.

I dial her number while driving my car and await her answer. After a few seconds she is there. A weird voice. I ask ‘hey, how are you? What’s new?’ Her voice is different than ever before. She does not speak fast as usual and she seems not to care about anything. ‘Is she daydreaming?’ I ask myself. She just says that a lot of thing happened and a lot changed. It all sounds very mysterious. She confesses she met a man. No more details are given to me.

On the next day I meet up with her in an Italian restaurant near her office. I start listening…

In the middle of the week when I was with James she went for an exhibition with a dinner at the Macedonian Embassy. She went there with her date – a guy with whom she had started meeting earlier. She was pretty interested in him but he was not that into her. They kept going out together but it was nothing promising. During the dinner a lot of red wine was served so it got her a bit dizzy. While she was wandering among the exhibits admiring their newly discovered beauty (thanks to the extra amount of the red) she bumped into the guy (that was probably also thanks to the red). They immediately connected talking about… well, she was not able to remember what they talked about. She just remembered the feeling and the connection. Later, no one knows why, the guy needed to get a pack of cigarettes. She volunteered to accompany him. Her friends told her later that it had taken quite a while to buy them and be back. She did not realize it had been that long. The guy took her number and called her a few days later. She was very reluctant to see him again but she gave in having seen how cutely pushy he kept being. They spent wonderful moments together. They started planning May in Mallorca and June in Greece. Things went fast. From the beginning they were very honest with each other. She told her she was in the middle of the preparation for divorce. He told her his life was full of many short stories of which one resulted in a ten-year old girl. But it did not change anything. They have a wonderful connection. They are both madly in love and they both want a stable and amazing relationship. They feel they can achieve that together.

In the meantime, the guy whom she went for the exhibition with phoned her. She just unceremoniously dumped him. He was speechless. He asked ‘does that that mean you kept fooling me all the time and never felt anything even when you were saying all the I-love-yous to me?’ ‘It must be it’ she replied. She did not care about the guy that had been playing a hard-to-get one before and of whose feelings she was not sure. She had never done something like this before but she was absolutely sure it was right. In the end, she was falling in love! She could not sleep. She was not focused at work. She could not participate in a training as she did not remember anything afterwards. Not so difficult to understand as all the time she was looking through the window or at the ceiling.

Having finished the story she anticipates me that her lover-boy will pick her up so that they can have a dinner together. I will meet him and I need to give her my opinion. In a few minutes he arrives. Quite handsome guy, a funny type who makes people laugh. Not boring but smart – a perfect mix. He says he has just seen his doctor and got his examinations results. His health condition is fine. The scene I observe reminds me of a SATC when a guy says ‘before you start dating a girl you need to show your left hand, ID card, bank account statement and blood test’. When the guy is at the bar buying a drink she admits he did that for her and brought the result here on purpose although she had never asked for that. She says it means that he cares. Later, she asks me for my opinion and before I say anything she looks at me as if was an oracle. She admits a good friend’s opinion is very important to her and I am the first to judge him. The guys is cute and seems smart, funny and caring. I say he is great and she seems even happier and more relieved.

I call her today. I ask whether they had a great weekend. I want to know whether he inquired some details about me. She says he just wanted to know what I had said the other day and whether he passed the test. Another point in favor - the guy is not stupid.

He passed the test. I granted him the license.
License to love.

No comments: