Monday, August 4, 2008

is there a pink elephant in the room?

A few days ago I logged into Facebook and I saw some new photos uploaded by one of my friends from Morocco. She was quite open and used to describe herself with the word scandalous. She was a party animal. Intelligent, beautiful, open-minded. We have a common gay friend.

So the pics - the wedding, my friends, a traditional clothes and a traditional party... and the groom... who is gay... and just got married with a woman...

I was speechless. I saw the wedding of my gay friend. I still remember that during a swimming pool party that he threw for our friends he told me how one guy (that I know) had fucked him near that pool when his parents had been gone. And I saw a pic of another gay guy with whom I slept too. He was a wedding guest.

All of that was so disgusting to me.

Even when I found out that the girl is lesbian or bi, that they know about each other and that they agreed for that wedding to arrange everything so that they can do their stuff freely and have their separate lives whereas the marriage is just the cover - it's for the society. I understand why they did that (I lived there and I know the attitude towards gayness) but still I can't just accept that.

It's not the first time that I hear such a story but it was so shocking to see a friend taking part in that. I just didn't expect that.

There is so much hypocrisy in this country. The last weeks after I left it, I was only missing it. I didn't forget what I didn't like there but I just didn't have these bad thoughts anymore.

It's still very fucked up in many cases. I hope it will change gradually and soon...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't judge people if you can't quite put yourself in their shoes. Coming out in more conservative countries takes some courage. Don't feel disgusted with people cause they want to protect themselves and not act like heroes...

Anonymous said...

well, i didn't ask them to come out. there are simpler ways to deal with this situation that don't require either being heroes or getting married.

i do feel disgusted and maybe it would be better if i didn't. but this is like an alergy which i can't control.

if they're all happy, i'm happy for them but i could never be part of it.

they have the free will so they can do whatever they want:)

Anonymous said...

Well if they hadn't married, some people might have started asking strange questions about the lack of their signifcant other.

I think they found a very user-friendly way of avoiding any of that.

Probably in a few years or tens of years such things won't be necessary but for now I say let them be happy.

I understand it's just your personal gut reaction but if I was gay and you were disgusted with me for doing sth like that I'd sock you in the face :)

Anonymous said...

why would you sock me in the face? if in this case i were your friend, and i told you that i was disgusted by your decision, you wouldn't want to hear my opinion? even if it's something that is not nice to hear?

Anonymous said...

Ok, so maybe I'd refrain from violence. However I prolly wouldn't want to be friends with someone who feels disgusted about the things I do to make myself happy.